Sunday 29 May 2011

Blooming voices - May 28

Yesterday I delivered the first open voice workshop I have run for a few years. It was a reminder of how positive an experience it can be to bring together a diverse group of people. All had a central focus but also individual needs and issues to explore. We met at the Vestry House Museum in Walthamstow and I think I may have made a few new converts to the area. In spite of the chill yesterday the gardens at the museum were in top condition and the situation is nothing if not charming. I had a diverse group of people who variously came through google, referral, a local ad in the paper, telephone marketing, a flyer, youtube and an old aquaintance. Just goes to show that diverse forms of marketing do work! Everyone was generous, committted and managed to have a laugh as well as going home with some new skills and certainly plenty of factual knowledge about their voices in performance. The highspot for me was during an exercise in which we chanted to gain extra resonance. Everyone spoke on a single but not the same tone and we effortlessly achieved some absolutely beautiful harmonics. I nearly stopped the workshop there and then to form a choir!

Bring on June 16 and 17 when I am running my next two courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment